Thursday, June 28, 2012

Verses of Comfort, Assurance & Salvation by Au Revoir Simone


Au Revoir Simone - Verses of Comfort, Assurance & Salvation (2006)


Let me preface this review with a confession: I started listening to Au Revoir Simone's second album instead of their debut when I first heard about them back in 2007. Hence, my impression of them has already been formed, and it's based on their second release. That said, I still still try to review this album as objectively as I can. (I hope this paragraph has made at least a small amount of sense.)

This debut is a solid introduction to the creative forces that make up Au Revoir Simone. Simple melodies that are made up of layers of synth and keyboards, and backed by a drum machine. The vocals are earnest and the lyrics are of the subtle, imagery-inducing variety. All in all, it's a rather good first album from three girls who originally jammed together for fun, before they decided to set their dreams in concrete.

It's a good launching pad for their careers, and they've established themselves as the electronic equivalent of a warm, fluffy blanket on a cold rainy night. There's a bittersweet tinge to their music, although the warm golden sunshine will eventually filter through the thin film of darkness.


Here is "Back In Time". I didn't choose my favorite, "Stay Golden", because I think this song is a better example of the layers of keyboards over a drum machine. It's like a little capsule of happiness with a dash of melancholy.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment