Monday, July 9, 2012

Old World Underground, Where Are You Now? by Metric


Metric - Old World Underground, Where Are You Now? (2003)

The first song I heard by Metric was actually 'Black Sheep' from the Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World OST. Well, I liked the song in the movie enough to check it out after watching it. Anyway.

Metric can be generally considered an indie band, but I found their debut to be a little more like electronic rock. There's the occasional electronic-only track like 'Calculation Theme', but overall I think Old World Underground is a very accessible album that inducts you into the wonderful world of Metric. Combining guitar feedback and dreamy synth, they create a sound of their own that does have indie inclinations. Their lyrics are sometimes alliterative and very fun to song along to as they just roll off your tongue. Unfortunately, I cannot sing like Emily Haines, so I will keep my warbling to myself.

A track I've found myself listening to more often than the rest is 'Hustle Rose'.



I like how Haines' voice is somewhat mercurial. She can sing lower notes like in the opening track 'IOU', but in this song her dulcet tones kick in. Backed by the accompanying keyboards, this is one of the songs I sing along too, causing widespread second-hand embarrassment to everyone in the world.

7.3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment